Even though the Fair Housing Act, aimed at prohibiting discrimination and reversing housing segregation, become law in 1968, its promise remains unfulfilled. Many of our communities are still segregated, and discrimination in housing persists. NAR is wholly committed to championing efforts that ensure equal access to homeownership and encourages all REALTORS® to join the fight to end discrimination in housing and stand up for diverse, inclusive communities where all are welcome, and everyone can thrive.
To help you adhere to the REALTORS® Code of Ethics, follow the law, and become an advocate for fair housing, the REALTOR® Store offers a wide array of resources for free or at a discounted price, including these key products:
Fair Housing Handbook-Fifth Edition
- Suggested fair housing office procedures
- Background on fair housing regulations
- Samples of the HUD Equal Housing Opportunity poster logo
- Equal service report forms
- Information on the NAR/HUD partnership
- Self-assessment questionnaire
Fair Housing Rental: Pocket Guide
- Fair housing laws
- Responsibilities of real estate professionals
- Checklists to ensure proper procedures are being followed
Housing Point: Fair Housing Act Video Download
- Emotional support animals and the FHA in housing
- Familial status discrimination
- Sexual harassment and unlawful retaliation against those making complaints
- How to avoid steering claims in the age of big data
- HUD’s criminal background guidance and disparate impact analysis
- NAR’s Code of Ethics requirements prohibiting discrimination against protected classes
- And more!
This video is now available free for members!
What Everyone Should Know About Equal Opportunity in Housing Brochure
NAR’s number one seller, this recently updated and redesigned product is invaluable for everyone involved in housing—including your associates, clients, and customers. Share this resource with to keep them informed about the importance of fair housing regulations and the requirements under the law. The brochure outlines the responsibilities of each party to a transaction and includes relevant information about the Fair Housing Act.
Physical version sold in packages of 100, digital version available in Spanish.
Housing Affordability Index Historical Data File
NAR’s affordability index measures whether or not a typical family could qualify for a mortgage loan on a typical home at the national and regional levels based on the most recent price and income data.
This informative Housing Affordability Index Historical Data File includes 7 spreadsheets, 1989 through December 2020, national figures, and figures by all four regions, first-time affordability, and quarterly figures.
Available free to members!
Fair housing is not just the law, it’s the right thing to do—and it’s good for business. Visit the REALTOR® Store to find all the resources you need to build your awareness and get in on the Act!